National Dog Day is observed on August 26th, and we believe it is a brilliantly coined event that should be commemorated in some fashion.
The Museum of English Rural Life came up with a delightfully humorous idea to commemorate the occasion by posting pictures of dogs on Twitter.
With their objective of studying the “English countryside, its history, and its people,” the MERL decided to urge individuals to send in images of their funny canines who were bred for a certain purpose but failed horribly to fulfill it.
People instantly responded to the occasion, submitting entries of their canine breeds that turned out to be nothing more than couch potatoes, slackers, and hysterical.
To give you a greater idea of the difficulty, the Labrador Retriever was bred to catch hunted game, the Bernese Mountain Dog was bred to protect, and the Foxhound was bred to hunt down foxes.
People put a lot of effort into carefully breeding these doggos for a certain purpose, but despite their best efforts, these doggos turned out to be something quite different!
The MERL challenge was really amusing, and it resulted in some hilarious dog memes that are sure to brighten your day! So let’s get started scrolling so you can get a better idea of what’s going on.
The challenge’s formal call for entries has been posted!
2. He appears to be having more fun.
3. Napping is, without a doubt, an extreme sport.
4. Garbage bags are monstrosities.
5. For the sausages, I’ll go to any length.
6. In his defense, a clock can be obnoxious.
7. He requires his personal space!
8. He is, nonetheless, really cute.
9. That’s a bit of a stretch.
10. Warm blankets are a dog’s and a human’s dream come true.
11. Living the posh life.
12. It is, however, an enjoyable pastime.
13. Armchair hunting sounds like more fun.
14. He’s a very cheerful boy!
15. Bread is great
16. He finds himself into a lot of strange situations
17. It comes with a built-in bathing suit
18. Certainly a difficult decision
19. Sheep are our companions!
20. The finest of naps and snobbery
21. Cuddler with experience
23. Likes to take things slowly
24. Cuddly and warm
25. Her hoomans must be near her at all times
These adorable pups may lack command of their skills and in-bred abilities, but they have a firm grip on their owners’ hearts, as well as ours!
Sure, they may be a little spoilt but they’re just so cute and gentle that we can’t help but feel so much love for their gentle and loving personalities. There’s a lot more where these came from, so keep scrolling!
Some of these dogs were designed to be enormous, harsh, and intimidating while guarding their people, yet they can’t help but have soft personalities and shower their masters with unconditional love.
They just want to relax out with the other doggos, pop open a cold one, and slumber the day away. Can we really blame them at this point? They’re just more docile than they were supposed to be!
26. Doggo philosopher
27. In his dreams, he hunts lions
28. Snooze time is the best time
29. He’s a delicate individual
30. It’s important to take a moment to smell the flowers
31. He has great taste
32. Her chew toy is also a favorite
33. And looks dapper af
34. What an outstanding gentleman
35.Not for use in the water
36. He knows how to be a floof though
37. The friendlier, the better!
38. He’s a responsible individual
39. Just like us!
40. He’s living the life perfectly
41.But, oh, that smile
42. What a sweetie
43. He has an inquisitive mind
44. Chilling on the beach for the momemt!
45. What a treat for the postal worker!
46. Lazy boi
47. He enjoys both giving and receiving company!
48. He’s a fragile one!
50. As a floofball, he left a lasting impression
We can’t say we blame these pups for having a different vision of how they want to live their lives.
These sleepy boys that enjoy napping, eating, and playing with their people have a more relaxed outlook on life, and their humans have embraced them just as they are!
It’s amusing how different these dogs turned out to be, and the fearsome and commanding monsters they were meant to be are nowhere to be seen!
MERL was responsible for bringing all of these doggos together on Twitter and allowing us to see and hear about them in all of their magnificence.
Whatever way they turned out, there’s no disputing that we love them and wouldn’t alter a thing about them! They added a humorous and wonderful twist to National Dog Day, and we are eternally thankful.